2008/11/11

In Our Storms

Sometimes life is like being on a rocky boat in a big storm. Here is an example of that.

Matthew 8:23-27
23And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.
24And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.
25And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.
26And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.
27But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
Jesus could have prevented the storm from ever coming, but He didn't . He allowed the storm to come and and it showed His disciples their need for Him.

Our rocky boats show our need for Jesus as well. Often we only call out to Him when He is the only one who can help us.
It is also a time of testing to see if we will really trust Him. Can we depend on Him even when we do not understand what He is doing?

This came to me today because, it seems like we are in the middle of a storm. God is showing me to trust Him alone in these times, to rely on Him alone above all else or anyone else. So often I relied on people instead of going straight to my savior. Though He calls us to encourage one another and weep together and laugh together, and these things are wonderful; only He is always there, always faithful, always trustworthy. Noone should come above Him. He is my best friend.
He had to take me through some aches to engrave that on my heart. I must say it is a relief to not have expectations from people anymore. (that was always very selfish of me)

I am so blessed in my relationship with Jesus. With Him being such a good friend, I also want to be a good friend to Him. ( we love Him because He first loved us) It's not all about me, it's about Him....
Romans 12
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
In saying these things, I know I will also be tested in them yet again!





3 comments:

Margaret said...

Nancy ,
I don't know what your struggle is but I hope this will encourage you. I have this devotional and in it I read ...We must remember that when God seems to say no there is still a lot left, a lot to be thankful for, and a lot to do for Him. We should learn to say, "I don't understand why my dream hasn't come true, but thank God for all He's done for me any way."
Its a booklet called"Trusting God In All Seasons of Life."

Nancy said...

The storms I was talking about are in many areas around us... I have many people on my heart and this is where I need to keep trusting . If I pray for someone, I need to trust that it is now in God's hands and I don't have to fix it all myself. If people speak badly of me because of our faith in God, it may sometimes feel like a storm, but it isn't about me.

Nancy said...

Oh I would be interested in that book, thanks!