2008/11/10

Changing Focus


The best way to encourage myself is to encourage other people. Often I am tempted to feel sorry for myself and well become ... a loner! :( Yes, have a poor me, I am all alone in this world pity party. (the only way one can have one of those is by making sure one is alone, right?) Often in the past it was not only a temptation, but that is what I have done. God convicted me of this, so I now know that is not the answer to anything , but only lies from Satan. First of all how can I say that I have noone when I have Jesus. He is a friend that is always there. So I have to say thanks be to God Himself, I no longer have reason to have this poor me attitude! I still go through times of discouragement, but God showed me a great solution to this problem! When these times come, find ways to encourage others. There is plenty of work to be done and many out there who need a friend a "cheerleader" to cheer them on as they run this race. God has a way of providing the right friend at the right time.
God blessed us this weekend with some good fellowship and great encouragement. I found a simple note in our mailbox at church, that just really lifted me up, and meant so much! It made me see again that I need to do much more to cheer others on too! It doesn't take much and I can't say that I don't have enough time for these little things.
I am sure I will go through more struggles and so will anyone who reads this, but I want to keep my eyes on Jesus, and serve Him in these times in more ways then ever!

Someone at church shared about this very same thing and it just really confirmed what God is saying!

(However, Jesus alone is our ultimate comforter!)

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for the birthday e-card. It was so special that you remembered. Having a pity party is so easy to do but they are not even fun. So why is it that we have them so often? I have noticed that when I start with that down feeling in the morning when I'm still in bed I just get out of bed to start the day and that's where it ends. (Most of the time) The longer I stay in bed the worse my negative feeling get. So I get up, have my time with God and from there on I 'm serving my family and the focus is off me. Thqank you for your post....

Anonymous said...

A little encouragement can go a long way! The lady that is leading our ladies' Bible study has us each pick a name out of a basket. We are to encourage that person once or twice during the week. I know it's been an encouragement to me & it's giving me an opportunity to learn how to encourage others.

I haven't picked up the book "Seeking Him" I want to see if my library has it before I buy it. I will go ahead and buy it.

Tina said...

Thanks for your post. This is something I have been struggling with lately and I need to get the focus off of me feeling sorry for myself to becoming an encouragement to others.